The Moton High School Alumni Association in Easton, MD was reorganized under the present leadership in February 2001.
After electing officers, we came up with the bylaws for this association. Two objectives were listed which are:
- To foster the legacy perpetuated at Moton High School where all students matriculated and
- To provide awards and scholarships to deserving African American students who plan to further their education in their chosen career or profession.
Each year we have sponsored activities for all students who attended Moton to meet and greet their classmates and friends. These activities were planned for the purpose of raising funds to support our second objective. We have received funds from a couple of classes to help support our scholarship fund. They were the classes of 1956, 1960 and 1965. The American Legion has also been supportive of our efforts.
As of this date the Moton High School Alumni Association has accomplished the following:
- Provided 8 students with book awards of $500.00 each totaling $4,000.00
- Provided 36 students with a $1,000.00 scholarships each totaling $36,000.00
- Provided $400.00 to assist a student with books.
- Made a donation of $100.00 to Waters United Methodist Church to assist them in replacing their heating system.
- Made a donation to the restoration of John Wesley Church in Oxford.
- Made a donation to Talbot County Public Schools on their laptop initiative.
- Made a donation to the Auxiliary of Blake Blackston Post to assist two students to attend Girl’s State.
- Purchased ads from the Talbot County Branch and other organization when requested.
- We received a plaque from Bethel A. M. E. Church in Easton , Maryland and Scotts United Methodist in Trappe, Md. for our support to students in the community for scholarships.